Matt Healy, always encased in smoke 100% of the time.
The Hifi Bar
by Sarah Lay
Hi chicka! Thanks for getting in touch and for your kind words :) Oh that sounds cool, can you explain to me what exactly the international press pass allows you to do? I’ve been meaning to look into joining MEAA let’s have a chat about them sometime when i come around to it!
Couple tips on getting started in shooting music:
- Head out to local shows/venues and sneak your camera in. most smaller venues won’t mind you bringing in your camera. just don’t mess with flash while you’re shooting.
- Shoot manual, always.
- Build an extremely strong portfolio of maybe 20ish images of the best of the best live pictures from those local shows. Always get there early so you can shoot on the barrier.
- And once you’ve got a solid folio of live music work send your link out to all of the publications that you would like to shoot for/support/like/etc and at least one of them is bound to take you on. Also mention that you’re a new shooter and looking to further build your existing live music folio.
- Editors always want to see previous work before taking you on.
- Another way, instead of purchasing tickets. Hit up those local bands and offer your service to them. I’ve never had the courage to do this but it sounds like a good idea if you’re down for that!
If y’all ever need a publication to shoot for/write for hit me up and i’ll hook you up! More than happy to refer you to my pals in Aus publishing. Mostly music related and culture related.
So I’m thinking I’ll do a print giveaway sometime with a photo or two of The 1975. Y’all keen?
Yeah that’s so strange. I know with my editor, he emailed the promoters and they sent an email back asking him to confirm that myself and our reviewer was u18, otherwise we wouldn’t be granted passes. That totally sucks that you were turned down at the door and then the only option was for you to buy a ticket- i can’t understand that either. More often than not if you’re 18+ you won’t be allowed into u18 shows- whether to shoot or attend. You should get your editor on the phone and ask him to get in touch with the promoters to settle this for you, so maybe they could let you shoot tonight’s show?